Do you love me more than these?

That's the question the Lord asked Peter. We usually ask what does it mean?
And the usual answers are, either it means more than these other guys love me, or more than you love these things around you?
I think if Jesus was asking it to us, 21st century Christians, interested in missions, surrounded with our stuff, he would mean:
Do you love me more than these things around you?
Ask any born again Christian their priorities. Their well-schooled answer would be
  1. God
  2. Family
  3. Church
  4. Work
But what are they really? Is God really priority one? How do we show that?
Sounds like our priorities oughta be: God, His Sheep, These
God didn't say, if you love me, have a family movie night, stay home, don't get too involved.
If you love me, read about me for an hour a day.
If you love me fast.
If you love me buy all the latest Christian books.
If you love me be socially and politically active.
He said, If you love me, FEED MY SHEEP.
Feeding sheep is a hard job. It means caring for his people (which ought to include our physical family). It means giving up time--maybe even money, maybe even fun. Why do it?
Because you love the Lord Jesus Christ more than these?

1 comment: